- Designer: Radford Yacht Designs
- Builder: Aluminium & Steel Boats (Greg Brown)
- Construction: Marine Grade Aluminium
- Const Std: AS 4132
- 4 watertight bulkheads, 6 Watertight subdivisions
The Blizzard currently holds an “A” class offshore survey with Transport Safety Victoria. The highest level offered by the state, for her size and passenger numbers.
- LOA 19.3 metres
- Draft (board up) 1.4 metres
- Draft (board down) 3.5 metres
- Beam 4.9 metres
- Displacement 23 tonnes
- Air Draft 22 metres
Safety is paramount on Blizzard as it has often sailed in remote and challenging waters. The safety equipment specifications exceeds SOLAS survey requirements and is a refection of worlds best practice. The vessels and safety equipment are maintained to the highest standard. Shore side authorised specialist agents conduct all annual inspections and maintenance of safety equipment. While year round emphasis on vessel maintenance is conducted to prepare and prevent for emergency scenarios. In Addition you will be required to have a full familiarisation of all safety equipment and be instructed what to do in the unlikely event of an emergency scenario.
- EPIRBS: Cat 1 ACR 406Mhz , plus an ACR EPIRB direction finder onboard for Man overboard operations.
- Liferaft: RFD 12man SOLAS Survivor (top of the range) raft fitted with hydrostatic release and its own dedicated 406MHz EPIRB
- Royal flying Doctor service remote location first aid box and Access to Royal flying doctors via Satellite phone
- Emergency grab bag with various additional survival necessities that are not supplied in the Liferaft such as a sea-water desalinator , Portable GPS & Portable Satellite phone
- Lifejackets: SOLAS with whistle and light x 12 Offshore
- Lifejackets: Spinlock Inflatable with built in safety harness stored in dedicated pouches at the wet weather gear station x 12
- Damage control kit containing quick drying cement, bungs, wedges, rubber matting, tar adhesive, tarps, canvas, mallets etc
- Liferings: 2 x SOLAS Liferings fitted with lights/whistles
- Immersion Suits (cold water survival) x 12
- Flares: 12 SOLAS
- Fire fighting: Engine room fixed fighting system, 5 Dry powder portable extinguishers & Fire Blanket. Fire hose supplied by engine driven pump.
- Bilge systems: Engine operated, Fixed hand operated, Portable hand operated and High capacity portable electrical
- Life sling: and line for recovering man Overboard
- Life line: jackstay webbing port and starboard
- Emergency hatch / porthole covers & 2 x Emergency steering systems,
- Extensive spares and a very large and well maintained Tool inventory, including Oxy Acetylene and Aluminium welding
- 2 x Fixed Satellite telephones, Long range HF DSC Radio with 2 independent aerials, Fixed VHF radio and two portable VHF radios
- Southern Ocean sea parachute, with spectra bridle and 100m line allowing the vessel to be controlled un-attended on deck, in a major storm.
- Sea Drouge for slowing and controlling the vessels speed and direction in large seas
- Offshore medical first aid supplies and accompanying publications and software
- LPG Gas Alarm monitoring the stove and oven
- Full set of SCUBA gear x2, wetsuits, underwater torches etc
NAVIGATION & ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT
The electronics on Blizzard were completely replaced recently to provide a state of the art communications and sailing package.
- GPS: Raymarine Raystar 125
- Radar: Raymarine 4kW
- Steering Compass: White Star
- Electronic Charts: Navionics, Raymarine & Inav-X
- Autopilot: TMQ
- Sailing Instruments: Raymarine ST60+
- Entertainment: GME DVD/CD/MP3 stereo, LCD
- Barometer: x2
- Chronometer: x2
- Binoculars x2 – 8×40 offshore
- Charts: British, Australain, Chile Admiralty
- Publications British Admiralty
- VHF Icom IC-602 DSC
- HF / SSB: Icom IC-802 GMDSS
- Handheld VHF: 2 x ICOM
- Weatherfax: Weatherfax for Windows
- Satellite Weather: Skyeye by Xaxero
- Satellite Comms: Iridium Base Station & Iridium open port – Full internet, voice and data
- Computer: Global Marine Networks Skybox
Blizzards machinery is housed in a dedicated engine room that is sound insulated and structurally fire protected. This space is fitted with a fixed fire fighting system and automatic bilge alarm.
- Main Engine: Yanmar 4LHA 165hp Diesel
- Generator: Yanmar 1GM 5kVA 240V.
- Gearbox: ZF45 Hydraulic Gearbox
- Propeller: Hydralign 3 Blade Feathering + spare
- Stern Gland: PSS Dripless Seal
- Fuel Filter: Racor water seperator + magnetic
- Wind Generator: Air-X Marine 400W
- Solar Panels: 80W Solarex
- Fuel Capacity: 1840 litres in four tanks independent of the hull
- Water Capacity: 960 litres in two independent aluminium tanks.
- Fuel Transfer: 12V Jabsco internal / external use
The sails have been constructed for the Southern Ocean by Hoods Australia from Dacron.
- Mainsail 58 sq. meter
- Foresail 48 sq. meter
- Yankee 62 sq. meter
- Genoa 94 sq. meter
- Storm Jib
The yankee poled to windward combined with the genoa to leeward has proved so successful that we have never used the spinnaker.
The Staysail and storm jib are both hanked onto the third forestay.
The mainsail has two very deep reefs. The foresail / Main Staysail has one set of reef points
The mainsail is fitted with a self stowing boom bag coupled to lazyjacks.
Blizzard features a staysail schooner rig that has two twin aft swept spreader. The foremast has no less than three forestays and both masts are well supported with high strength Compac rigging.
- Standing Rigging: Compac/Dyform stainless steel wire with toggle and tang terminations.
- Aluminium Spars by Allyacht Spars Australia
- Halyards: 14mm Marlow Dyneema
- Sheets: Double Braid Polyester
- Headsail: Furlers 2 x Goiot 57
The accommodation aboard Blizzard is functional and comfortable with a capacity for up to 14 people. There is a double cabin for the skipper and mate along with forward and aft accommodation cabins. The saloon forms the central heart of the vessel with ready access to the galley, navigation station and wet weather station. The accommodation spaces are fully lined and fitted with 50mm foam. Hatches and portholes are fitted with double glazing to retain the heat in the polar regions and repel it in the tropics.
- Heating: Diesel Sigmar plus engine heat exchanger heater aft
The galley on Blizzard is the source of fuel for the crew and is equipped with a large stove, ready access storage and well fiddled work spaces.
- Refrigeration: Large capacity 240v air cooled eutectic cool store
- Freezer: Large capacity 12v
- Stove: Force 10 – 4 burner gas stove with oven. This is fed by three galvanized steel gas bottles stored above the galley in a dedicated slot.
- Gas Alarm: 12V Aqua Meter Gas Monitor
- Sinks: Double deep sinks fed by a salt water foot pump, fresh water foot pump and pressure fresh water feed
Blizzards tenders can be broken down and stowed below decks or on the large davits at the stern. There is dedicated outboard mounts for each of the outboards in the lazarette while fuel is stored in a dangerous goods locker that is well ventilated and drains overboard to minimize risk.
- Tenders: 3.8m Bombard Commando plus Avon
- Outboards: 2 x 9.9hp Yamaha with external tanks
The deck gear on Blizzard has been selected for its rugged reliability.
- Winches: Anderson Stainless Steel Self Tailing
- Steering: Edson
- Anchor Winch: Muir Thor Horizontal Chain Gypsy
- Hatches: Goiot Tradition
- Fire Hose Salt water / engine driven pump
- BBQ Stainless handrail mounted gas
- Main Anchor: 50kg Bruce with 120m chain
- Kedge 50kg Plough x 2
- Mooring Lines 4 x 120m x 25mm polysteel warps